We recently informed you that Charles Helein and Jonathan Marashlian, partners at The CommLaw Group, would be presenting an interactive audio-conference to address current tax and regulatory issues affecting Voice over Internet Protocol (“VoIP”) services on June 17, 2009. The audio conference, entitled VoIP Taxation and Regulatory Fees on the Rise: Your Guide to Compliance, has been rescheduled for Tuesday, August 11, 2009 at 2:00 pm EST. To register, or receive more information, please visit:
During the 90-minute presentation, Chuck and Jonathan will discuss and answer audience questions on recent issues and trends regarding the application of taxes and regulatory fees to VoIP service providers. Importantly, the discussion will focus on the complexities, implications and costs associated with the use of “supply chain” enforcement mechanisms by various tax and regulatory authorities.
The conference will leave attendees better able to:
- Understand the extent to which cutting edge VoIP communications services are treated identically to their telecommunications services ancestors both for regulatory and tax purposes
- Identify specific forms of VoIP communications services that are subject to Universal Service Fund (USF) and other public interest programs overseen by the FCC and certain state utility commissions
- Identify VoIP communications services that may be subject to state sales, use, excise and other telecommunications taxes, traditionally applied to telephone services
- As a retail VoIP service provider or channel partner of a VoIP platform provider, understand the process, requirements and pitfalls associated with seeking exemptions from wholesale supplier pass-through regulatory surcharges and taxes; and
- As a wholesale VoIP service provider, understand your legal duties under federal regulations and state tax laws with respect to securing legally sufficient proof of exemption from reseller customers and become aware of potential liabilities for failures to comply.
This interactive conference presents a valuable opportunity to have specific questions concerning VoIP regulatory issues answered or to just receive a general overview of the regulation of advanced communications services.